As you must be aware, Facebook has been working on a dark mode for its Messenger app. And, the good news is the long-awaited true OLED black theme is here! But there’s a catch. Facebook hid the new feature behind an
The supersmart Reddit sleuths went hunting and found the ‘hidden’ dark mode in the Messenger app on the iPhone. Take that Zuckerberg and a shout out to the brave Redditors!
So, rather than just putting the Dark Mode option in the settings menu, Facebook tasks you with sending a crescent moon emoji (weird flex but okay) to any of the chats and then boom! A bunch of moons fall from the top of the screen, and you are blessed with a pop-up to turn on the “Dark Messenger background.” Don’t know what just happened? Let’s break it down step-by-step
Here’s an elaborate version of how to enable the dark mode using a crescent moon
- Launch the Facebook Messenger app on your iPhone.
- Open a chat window and send a crescent moon emoji.
- If you’re lucky, moon emojis will rain down in the message thread.
- Next, a popup will appear saying “You Found Dark Mode!”
- Tap on the prompt to turn on the Dark Mode.
Didn’t get the moon shower when you sent the crescent moon? Don’t lose heart, you’re not entirely out of luck yet.
- Close the FB Messenger app.
- Now, open the app again and go to the conversation where you sent the moon emoji.
- Next, tap or double tap on the moon emoji.
- Hopefully, moon emojis will start raining down when you do.
- And when it does, tap “Turn On” when the “You Found Dark Mode” message pops up.
If none of the fanfare happens, well, let’s just call it bad Karma then!
Mesmerizing isn’t it? But if you think all this is too much work for you, or you think sending moon emojis to random acquaintances is a step too far, you can just wait until the dark mode is fully rolled out.